FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 13, 2009
Washington, D.C. – October 13, 2009 — Tudor Place Historic House and Garden has successfully surpassed its first-ever capital campaign goal of $3.5 million to restore the National Historic Landmark house. While the painstaking restoration work continues, the funds are secured to protect this significant architectural statement of the early years of the American Republic. A cocktail party and award ceremony to thank donors to the campaign will be held on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 from 6-8 pm. Executive Director Leslie Buhler remarks, “The importance of this site is recognized by the support of the community for this restoration campaign. We are grateful that so many generously stepped forward during these turbulent economic times.”
Following substantial research, the multi-year conservation project to restore the city’s most architecturally significant 19th century residence began in 2006 with the replacement of 1914 drain lines surrounding the house. Last spring, the replacement of the cracked and crumbling stucco walls, restoration of the aging roof, and installation of a lightning protection system was undertaken. The final phase of the project involves coating the stucco walls, upgrading the mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and security systems, as well as the installation of fire detection and suppression systems.
Tudor Place Historic House and Garden is one of the city’s first National Historic Landmarks. “Of all the historic sites in Washington, nothing captures the ongoing life of the city better than Tudor Place. From the time of George Washington and Pierre L’Enfant to the opening years of the twenty first century, Tudor has quietly reflected the history of our nation’s capital.” remarks Austin H. Kiplinger, Kiplinger Washington Editors.
Benjamin Forgey, Architecture Critic for The Washington Post agrees, “Elegant in proportion, human in scale, fortunate in setting, Tudor Place is one of the more graceful monuments of Washington’s history.”
Completed in 1816, Tudor Place was the home of Thomas Peter and his wife, Martha Custis Peter, granddaughter of Martha Washington. Located in Georgetown’s Historic District, Tudor Place is an historic site distinguished for its neoclassical architecture, decorative arts collection, and 5 ½ acres of garden.