· Architecture ·
The original 1816 house at Tudor Place designed by Dr. William Thornton consisted of two two-story wings connecting to a two-story center block by one-story corridors (“hyphens”). Thornton’s circular Temple Portico is embedded in center, its interior half forming a curved wall of glass windows and its exterior, a majestically domed, colonnaded portico. Via the Saloon, the Portico links two public reception room and creates an airy interface between the interior and the South Lawn’s expansive views. In 1876 an addition on the house’s western wing added a one-story kitchen.